There really has been some progress this past week, although from my posts (or lack thereof) you would never know it. I was really disappointed with my first attempt at a color study for the Marlowe building. It just wasn’t happening, I didn’t like the colors and I didn’t like the contrast either. I took some time off to do the preliminary work on Elvis, but Marlowe was always festering in the back of my mind. Truth was, I was also having difficulty deciding how I wanted to treat the undercoat on Elvis–another agonizing color decision.
I pretty much told myself I couldn’t work on Elvis (which I would have much preferred) until I got unstuck with Marlowe. I finally decided the second color version of Marlowe that I had done had some promise and started adding more color and contrast to it until I finally got the picture above. I was seeking that strange ethereal look we get here in the Midwest when a storm is trying to turn into a tornado. There is always this eerie yellow-green color backed up against purple-gray clouds. I sort of got the sky, but the buildings weren’t cooperating until today.
After I got Marlowe, Elvis sort of came to me in a flash thought. Yes, I know there is no such thing as a pink, purple and yellow horse. But he, like his stablemate Blue, will soon turn into a nice white horse. I think at this point I even know what I’m going to to with the background. That’s a relief!