How to get major sidetracked

Yes, I admit it. I’ve neglected the blog for three days now while the boyfriend and I took on a monumental task (I won’t say “folly” just yet)–we’re building a varmint-proof fence around the vegetable garden. I never would have undertaken this on my own, but Greg decided if we were going to do a fence, we needed to make an “architectural statement” (goes without saying that he is also an artist…). Day one was spent mostly planning and designing, then acquiring necessary materials–20 4 x 4’s for posts, 60 2 x 4’s for rails, assorted screws and brackets. That was about all the truck would hold on one trip, and it was groaning with the effort. The humans were also both groaning by the time we loaded and unloaded everything. However, we did manage to trench around the perimeter where the rabbit fence will be buried underground.

Day two continued the adventures from day one. Two hundred-foot rolls of horse fence (because it’s nicer-looking than cyclone fence and not welded so it can follow the rolling terrain of the garden area). Six 25-foot rolls of rabbit fence. Twenty 50-pound sacks of concrete. That will not be enough concrete, but the next load will have to wait. Again multiple groans unloading all this stuff. We managed to put up the two tallest posts (10-footers) which will form the arbor over the garden entrance, before we collapsed for the day.

Day three was very frustrating. Anybody who has ever taken on a home improvement-type project knows that you will always run into the unexpected and that it will delay your project untold hours, or even days. We had to relocate the fence line three times. We knew the septic drainfield was out there somewhere, but we didn’t know exactly where. Which meant we couldn’t use power equipment to dig the post holes because we didn’t want to cut right through the drain tile if we should be so unlucky as to hit it. Which of course we did, necessitating moving the fence line. We couldn’t put any posts in until we had dug test holes in every prospective location, just to make sure we were on safe ground. A test hole is not that different from the real hole–you still have to dig down over 3 feet no matter what, and do it by hand. After we dug way more holes that we actually needed for the fence (don’t forget we had to move the line 3 times!), we only had enough energy left to set the four corner posts. Chapter two will be written sometime in the future. Meanwhile, Advil is my very good friend.

About Alli Farkas

Equine and landscape artist specializing in rural Americana
This entry was posted in silly stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s