It took a while, and there were some detours along the way, but I’m quite happy with the outcome of this painting. I had mentioned my high expectations, not knowing for sure if they could be fulfilled. One variable was the new painting medium I used for the first time with this painting. It makes the paint work a little differently, so there was a bit of a learning curve to make the paint behave in a fashion pleasing to me. The biggest difference is that, although the label says this medium “speeds drying”, it’s actually a lot slower than the one I’m used to–even though it is faster than just letting the paint dry naturally (which could take days, in the case of some colors–some dry faster than others but I’m not expert enough to tell you why. I suspect it has something to do with how transparent or opaque any particular paint pigment is).
I took advantage of the longer drying time to work on the Friesian while I was waiting. Pictures of Friesian progress coming soon–have to get that painting finished in time for Horse-A-Rama in early May. I’ve been intending to have 12 paintings for my display racks for a while now, and now I’m only one painting away from that goal.