This has been quite an adventure, and promises to continue to periodically flummox me, but so far I’ve managed to figure out everything that has gone wrong and make it right. My plan was to make the layout as simple as possible, and as readable as possible. After an extended search for a template, I found one that had a format that I liked, but the type colors were not in keeping with my images (imagine various shades of magenta and hot pink here). So I had to venture into the code and find all the pinks and change them to blues. Not a very advanced thing for an expert to do, but I was a bit on the edge of my seat about it. Replacing the header images with my own was actually a snap, much to my surprise.
So I still have a small mountain of pages to add, but I now feel that I’m at least off to a good start.