I was of necessity in Chicago all of last week, and although I took all my art materials with me and I have a studio space there I still did not get anything near what I expected accomplished. However, I’m now back home, back on track and hope to stay that way.
I did decide to treat our friends Bella and Junior to a light dose of ink partly to help define the pattern of the mane so I don’t have to think about what’s light and what’s dark at every moment. I also like the definition it gives to the eyes and nostrils.
Ink also helps me see the drawing underneath a background. This background is one that I do sometimes and it requires a lot of paint about the consistency of, say, lobster bisque in order to spread it around and get it foggy-looking. What happens is that the edges of the figures get overlapped a bit and pencil lines would disappear entirely. I can usually see the ink through the soupy paint just enough to recall where the edges are.
I’m thinking that the red-brown-gold hues of these horses’ coats will resonate nicely with the blue-violet background. Or I may even add a little more white to parts of the background to make it even more wintry looking. Will make that decision after I get more of the the horses done. Looking to go for an early ride tomorrow then spend a good chunk of the rest of the day getting these guys some color!
it’s fascinating to see the various stages of progress you provide. thank you.