Here’s what we started with:
I’d been staring at the 6th+ pass version of this painting for about three days knowing that something just wasn’t right about the background but waiting to be sure exactly what it was. After I decided this morning that all it needed was to be lightened and less definite (it was hardly definite to begin with, but needed even less) it only took about 10 minutes to fix it. As so often happens, when you adjust one thing you end up needing to change another. Junior was too red (the photo above was lightened in Photoshop so I could see details,but the original was quite dark–the challenge was getting the happy medium). So it took another hour to figure out toning down the red and then going about it. It felt really good to put the final touch on these horses: whiskers! So for those who were counting, it turned out to be a 7-pass adventure plus whiskers.