It looks like I am in the website reconstruction business once again. I created my first website back in the 90’s sometime, but it wasn’t for my art business but mostly just to have a presence on the then new World Wide Web. The company that hosted it sold themselves out to somebody…don’t remember who and don’t care to…and I just let it die rather than move it. In 2009 I created my next one, this time for the art business. It became more of an archive than a selling tool, containing (almost) everything I had ever painted. And logically, it took a long time to put it together.
A few years later I decided to liberate myself from a prefab website and create my own with Joomla, since my hosting company once again “hosed” me by not supporting their platform. It took, just as before, a long long time to put it together, but when I had it finished it looked so super, being my own template instead of someone else’s. Only drawback was that it was a bear to maintain. So coincidentally just before I was ready to launch it, the hosting site fixed its problems and I decided to take the easy way out and just revise what I had with them by using a new template. Everything transferred to the new look with a minimum of fuss.
All was well until last year, when things started going south again. Not sure, but I think it was a combination of their old technology not being able to keep up with the latest browsers and the proliferation of mobile devices. So they gave me a web death sentence if I did not migrate to a totally new, “improved” platform. Supposed to be a lot easier to use, more flexible, more “modern”. The only part about it which is mostly true is the “modern” part. Nevertheless, I have been spending the last couple of weeks revamping my site.
I can say one thing for the new site. While the old one was admittedly a very fat archive, the new one will be on a crash diet. So if you want to see everything I’ve ever done you can visit www.allifarkas.com in the next few weeks before I finish the slash and burn.