A dedicated group of local artists (and non-artists too–we put everybody to work) has been painting away for about a month now and the Orphan Train mural is getting filled in amazingly fast. This is more like a first pass to get everything blocked in. Then we’ll come back in and add detail and fix anything that needs it.
Today was an unusual painting morning in that it had stormed all night long. Even though we had applied a sealer, the texture itself of the concrete wall held water in it, but only from the top down about two feet. As luck would have it, I was working near the top and the water considerably thinned out my paint, not to mention making it occasionally run into sections below where it had no business being. For sure I will have to go over those upper sections again but at least the basics are there for now.
I’ll just do this little slide show to illustrate how we’re coming along. If you can find the horse and the mule, I painted them last week. This week I did some background and the fiery red-orange lake. At some point maybe I will remember not to park my red car in front of the mural. The white one stays, though. It’s our paint “supply wagon”!