Is someone trying to tell me something?

I spent two sultry sticky suffocating days at the inaugural Valparaiso Art Festival. Which would have been fine except for a couple of problematic details—but let’s do the good stuff first.

The event was in a popular location, had a good assortment of artists and crafters and, best of all it had a wonderful 2-man band who somehow managed to play the best music all day long in spite of the heat. There was super attendance too, which is really appreciated at a first-ever event.


I had issued a Facebook challenge to my Indiana peeps to see who could actually show up on this overheated weekend. A couple of friends I hadn’t seen in years surprised me by driving half way across Indiana to get there…behold, Ward and Kay!


Things would have been fine if the weather hadn’t suddenly changed mid-Sunday afternoon. We got word that some nastiness was headed our way with wind gusts up to 70 mph. Not good news for vendors sitting in tents and surrounded with potentially deadly merchandise. We were told to start breaking down right away, which I did. I got all my paintings off the walls and was in the process of ferrying them to my truck when a huge wind event hit us. I managed to get two loads into my truck and when I returned for the last one I could see that my tent, although heavily weighted, had been lifted up and dumped on its front, trapping the last paintings underneath it in the process. The wind was so strong I could hardly make my way over there and stuff was flying around like crazy. Somehow it was basically over in just a few minutes—but my thought was if it was going to go away so fast why did it bother to show up in the first  place.

I did not stop to take any photos of the wreckage. However, I was quite lucky that none of my paintings were damaged, not even the ones trapped under the tent frame. Two of them had some frames cracked but the paintings themselves were safe. The tent, not quite so good. I will have to order a few replacement parts and hope I get them in time for my next show. Two leg extenders, one complete leg, and two stabilizer bars.


I ought to be, and am, glad that so few parts were damaged considering the beating that tent endured. Now all I have to do is get the warning light that came on in my truck on the way home attended to…wonder what the third thing will be???

About Alli Farkas

Equine and landscape artist specializing in rural Americana
This entry was posted in art, exhibit booth, oil paintings, random thoughts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Is someone trying to tell me something?

  1. Kathy Noone says:

    I’m glad you didn’t get hurt Alli! Sounds very scary….


    • Alli Farkas says:

      Fortunately some others nearby had made progress dismantling their tents already, and helped me get mine under control. I just couldn’t be sure which way it would blow and definitely didn’t want it to land on me. All of the frame work is steel pipe and it’s very heavy. I was just lucky that it was consistent about which way it wanted to fly, mainly lifting up the back side and falling halfway on the front without actually taking flight. So with several people assisting it was manageable.


  2. Nancy A Powers says:

    Wow, Alli! I’m sure glad that you weren’t hurt and your art was not damaged. Luck was on your side, too, that your tent didn’t go airborne! Nice that you got to visit with old friends.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Alli Farkas says:

      I still remember the tents that went flying at Milk Days! I’ve never had one do anything more than sway in the wind until this time. But then, I’ve never been in a wind so strong I couldn’t walk forward either except for once in a Chicago snow storm—and there was obviously no tent involved that time😧


  3. That must have been quite a scary moment before you were able to get you stuff down and under control. Good that it was “only” the tent that got some beating. Hopefully the car trouble—whatever the light was warning about—wasn’t anything serious.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Alli Farkas says:

      I will never understand why rodents like to gnaw gas tanks, but this is the second time it has happened. The first time was when I left my tiller outside and some chipmunk or squirrel or whatever chewed a hole right through the corner of the plastic gas tank. This time a similar rodent chewed through a plastic line which has something to do with returning gas fumes in the tank to the engine to be burned. It would have been OK if the critter only chewed the line, but it also chewed the connector on the tank, making the only option replacing the tank. Could have been really expensive, but my mechanic found a used tank which should arrive Monday. In the meantime, no danger in driving and the warning light will stay lit…Tent parts should arrive today!


  4. jofox2108 says:

    Oh my goodness! I’m glad your lovely paintings were OK.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.