I’ve known for some time now what shape Sky Pads 27 was going to take. Mother Nature got in the way, so in spite of having stretched a canvas and chosen a source photo and a plan for the first paint layer I was unable to go any further since I always do paint pours outside and the weather was not cooperating…for days…and days. I finally decided to put Ma Nature in her place and throw caution to the wind. I did not tell my cats what I was doing, but I did protect them by banning them from the work area and keeping windows open in 30°F weather. They were fine. I was cold. But not as cold as I would have been had I attempted to do this outside. Turpentine doesn’t freeze until it reaches extremely low temps, but it wouldn’t have dried either.
I covered the cement basement floor area in Visqueen, set my canvas on a work table, and poured paint diluted with turpentine all over it. Then I got my hair dryer and evaporated as much of the turpentine as possible off the canvas while leaving the paint intact, wiped down the now puddled-with-turpentine Visqueen, packed the soaked paper towels in a plastic bag and took it outside.
The place still reeked of turp fumes but my heating system quickly carried them to the cathedral ceilings as soon as all the cold air coming in settled in the lower half of the floor areas and pushed the warmer fume-laden air up. I shall await all the protesters telling me how un-eco-friendly and dangerous this process was even though I am already admitting that. I don’t recommend anyone try this. I only did it because I was getting desperate. Fortunately I doubt I will have to repeat it before spring season finally appears. In the meantime, here’s the result: