I don’t think I could ever get anything like this again, even if $1,000,000 depended on it. Let me list the ways this thing defied me:
- The paint colors (blue, magenta, yellow) did not mix in any manner that I expected them to (there was a ton of blue–where the heck did it go?).
- The canvas was a cut-off leftover from an unidentified roll. It felt a little rougher than what I ordinarily use but not so much that I anticipated the paint skipping all over it at random.
- I had bought a new kind of paint thinner (didn’t know it was “new”) that came in an opaque plastic bottle. When I opened it, this milky white stuff came out. Then I read the label that said it was “supposed” to be that way. Less toxic whatever. I didn’t know if it would work for my purposes but used it anyway.
- I had to get innovative with some of the white areas which were too white. Enter my trusty turkey baster filled with that weird paint thinner.
As a result, all my plans for a lush color background were foiled. I don’t care. This one is really intriguing. I don’t know what canvas I used, so I will assume that this painting will be a one-off not to be replicated. The paint mix I used was really thin, and usually this results in a solid color cover that separates out into patterns as it dries. But this time it wanted to flow in rivulets, leaving all kinds of white chunks of space in various sizes. I messed with them, changing the direction of the runoff, until I got them down to a size resembling pebbles. I like the pseudo-pebbles. They make nice ripples in the “water” and along the imaginary “shore”. There was so much white at the lower edge that I dribbled plain colorless (except for that “milky” look) paint thinner over that lower area which softened some of the hard edges by loosening the pigment that was starting to dry in place. Voilà–more nice ripples.
Now to let this marinate a while as I try to figure out what color the lily pads will be. I already know their pattern. If you’re up for a hint, think “flotilla”…